Lockport shrugs off penalties, upends Wilkes-Barre, 5-2


Despite having to fight off several power plays, Lockport was able to defeat Wilkes-Barre, 5-2.


Lockport was paced by Mark Friol, who had one goal. Friol scored short handed 18:33 into the second period to make the score 3-2 Lockport. Lockport was on a disadvantage when Fankie Bodami went off the ice for interference. Jordan Pocobello assisted on the tally.

Lockport was often in penalty trouble, totaling 18 minors and one major for 51 minutes in penalty time. The total exceeded the 34.0 minutes per game Lockport had been spending in the box. Lockport's offense rang up 58 shots on Wilkes-Barre's net. Lockport had trouble converting on the power play advantage, managing just two goals on nine chances.

Lockport also got points from Justin Durkee, who also grabbed one goal and one assist. Lockport also had goals scored by Andrew Logar, Dylan Jenkins, and Christopher Gasiewicz, who scored one goal each. Other players who recorded assists for Lockport were Nicholas Wilcox, who had three and Anthony Tomassi and Greg Terlov, who contributed one each.

Wilkes-Barre forced its penalty killing units to work especially hard during the game, picking up 15 minors and two majors for 60 minutes in penalty time. Wilkes-Barre surpassed its season average of 45.0 penalty minutes per game. Wilkes-Barre was ineffective while on the power play, as it was held to one goal off of 10 man advantages.

Wilkes-Barre was helped by Stephen Aponik, who registered one goal. Aponik scored on the power play 6:09 into the second period to make the score 2-2. Wilkes-Barre had gotten the advantage when Lockport's Gasiewicz was sent off for interference. Derrick Wruble provided the assist. Wilkes-Barre additionally got points from Wruble, who also finished with one goal and one assist. More assists for Wilkes-Barre came via Ryan Flanagan, who had one.

Sal Stalteri rejected 27 shots on goal for Lockport. Wilkes-Barre's Mathieu Beaudet stopped 53 shots out of the 58 that he faced.